As one of Cornwall’s most beautiful and popular visitor attractions, St. Michael’s Mount draws many thousands of people each year to see the historic castle and gardens as well as the picturesque village and harbour.
It has been a longstanding priority that St. Michael’s Mount is managed and maintained to ensure that its unique and unspoilt nature is preserved for all to enjoy. However, in the face of increasing environmental concerns and associated legislation, our already considerable efforts need to be constantly maintained.
On the Mount we are continually improving our environmental performance in relation to our visitors and services provided. We also demonstrate our efficiency in the use of energy, water and natural resources and minimise waste by re-using and recycling wherever possible.
We purchase environmental-preferable goods and services and ensure our suppliers and contractors demonstrate a similar approach towards the environment when visiting the island.
All our staff are trained to enhance awareness of environmental issues and ensure effective management of the impacts that may occur.
- St. Michael’s Mount is committed to improving the environment on the Island and surrounding areas for the benefit of OUR visitors, staff, wildlife and fauna.
- We have greatly reduced our landfill by recycling and have now obtained a Miltek Compactor. This has greatly reduced our collection of cardboard, cans and plastics and we have made a saving so far of approximately £1,800 a year.
- We are reducing water usage by using water saving devices therefore cutting down the volume of water being used. We have an energy saving policy that includes monitoring the usage of electricity in the village and in the Castle and have reduced the usage by 20% in the last two years.
- We buy from local suppliers wherever possible. All our office waste from cartridges and toners, stamps and paper are all recycled.
- We encourage the use of local public transport.
- We have cycle racks available on the mainland, and in the Change House (our information centre) we can assist any visitor with local information from local bus service to bike hire to local nature walks etc