The St Aubyn Family
Open the doors to an ancient castle and a modern family home
Much more than a museum that harks back to yesteryear, today the castle is the family home of James and Mary St Aubyn; descendants of the family who have resided in the castle since the 17th Century.
The St Aubyns came to St Michael’s Mount in 1647, when Colonel John St Aubyn was appointed Governor of the Mount following its surrender of the Mount to Parliamentarian forces. Twelve years later he purchased it from the Bassett family and it became his private home.
Made a baronet by King Charles II, John St Aubyn’s son was the first of five baronets, all named Sir John St Aubyn. The St Aubyn baronetcy lapsed when James St Aubyn – the fifth baronet’s illegitimate son – succeeded him in 1839. However, in 1866 Edward St Aubyn was made a baronet afresh and his son, John St Aubyn became a baron as Lord St Levan in 1887. The fourth baron – John, Lord St Levan – retired to the mainland in 2003.
In 1954, Francis St Aubyn – father of the fourth baron – gave St Michael’s Mount to the National Trust, retaining a 999-year lease for the family to live in the castle.